Avocado is a super fruit that offers several potential health benefits to those who consume it regularly. These benefits range from the nutritive value, to the abundance of several crucial nutrients including healthy fats, potassium etc, fibre content, reduction of harmful cholesterols, antioxidant content and so.
The dynamics of avocado market has been transformed world wide in the recent years with the increasing concern for health. America is one such region where the demand for avocados have gone up exponentially with more and more people including this fruit in their daily diet. The preference is more for the organic avocados.
America has its own supply of avocados in the form of organic California avocados and the requirement over and above this is met by importing them from other countries like Mexico, Peru etc. There are several reasons attributed the rising demand for avocados in the US, some of which are given below.
Reasons for increasing demand for avocados in US
1. Increase in lifestyle diseases –with the rise in non-communicable diseases in the developed countries, US included, more and more individuals and families are getting aware of the same and adopting a healthier lifestyle. Diet being an important aspect of this, avocado offers several health benefits and reduces risk of these disease. This has contributed to the increasing requirement of especially organic avocados. Several health agencies and organisations are also recommending the use of avocados on a regular basis to improve the health status of the people.
2. Versatility – Avocado is a versatile super fruit that can be used in a multitude of ways to be consumed. This includes salads, snacks, savoury dishes, desserts etc. There are thousands of recipes available online on how to utilise avocado effectively without making the diet monotonous.
3. Loosening of import restrictions – In the recent years, the import restrictions for bringing avocados from a foreign country in to the US have been reduced to such an extent that resulted directly in the rising demand. This holds true for especially those imported from Mexico.
4. Role of food chains – Several of the prominent food chains in US, that have franchisees worldwide, have incorporated avocados in their regular menus. This contributed to making the fruit very popular among the people who frequented these food chain outlets.
5. Improved Production methods – These days, several of the large-scale producers of avocados are employing different techniques that causes the fruit to ripen slowly, changes colour when ripe, keeps for long and has a thick skin. With this, they can be stored effectively for longer periods. This has made the fruit more popular among the supermarkets and other people involved in its sale.
Avocado is a wonderful fruit that offers a plethora of health benefits when consumed frequently. This has made it popular across the globe. America is one of the largest consumers of avocados on a daily basis.
The organic California avocado produce caters to some part of these requirement, rest is being imported from the South American countries primarily. Several factors contributed to this increase in popularity and demand of avocados in the American market, some of which are as mentioned above. No matter where you live, it is easier to get avocados nowadays and you can start including it as a part of your daily lives to promote a healthier lifestyle.