Being one of the cheapest cities across the UK, the students benefit from Gloucester’s living cost. The students can come to study across some of the top-notch colleges and universities across the city and enjoy a flexible budget for personal spending.
As the cost of living is low here, Gloucester attracts a wide range of students. Here you can find a good blend of rural as well as urban life which showcases its rich history as well as cultures through food, arts, entertainment, festivals as well and events.
Best universities in Gloucester (United Kingdom)
In Gloucester, you can come across three renowned universities. They not only offer great education but also state-of-the-art infrastructure.
- University of Gloucestershire: The University of Gloucestershire is one of the public universities where there are two campuses in Cheltenham and one in Gloucester. It ranks around 161 in European University Rankings with Northern Europe which offers around 288 undergrad programs as well as 82 postgrad programs. You will find many student accommodation in Gloucester nearby.
- Hartpury University and College: This university is known to offer different courses that specialize in animals, sports, and veterinarian and has more than 4500 students across the world.
- Royal Agricultural University School of Business: It was the first and foremost agricultural college in the English-speaking world. This college has been named the 11th top-notch university in the South West. Only 25 students were starting in the year 1845 and now it flourishes with students across the world.
The University of Gloucester fees
The university has gained its status in the year 2001. The roots of this university have been traced back to the 19th century when two distinct stands of educational provisions in this city merged to form the University of Gloucestershire.
The tuition fee for all international students who want to study undergrad courses is around INR 16 lakhs. If anyone wants to pursue the postgrad course, then it will be around 15 lakhs.
The University of Gloucestershire currently (Year 2024) has around 12000 students as well as 1500 staff members. Here you will come across two campuses in Cheltenham town as well as Gloucestershire town. The university is known for having a strategic plan for the year 2022-27 that comprises a set of objectives as well as thematic ambitions which the students can get some drive from.
Is Gloucester expensive to live in?
Gloucester is known for being the fifth cheapest city in the UK to raise a family. The students can easily study here without much worry.
Cost of living in Gloucester
It is important to know about the living expenses as well as other miscellaneous experiences that one can bear while staying over here. The cost of living in this city can vary depending on the lifestyle of the student. But it is stated that international students have to bear an average of 10000 to 12000 euros every year. The cost will comprise the rent of the accommodation, food as well as other basic living expenses.
You will find different accommodations to choose from. The cost of the private and the on-campus accommodation varies.
- On-campus accommodation: £120-£200 per week
- Private rented accommodation: £80-£120 per week
The expense of food varies depending on the student’s eating habits.
- Average food costs per week: £30-£60
- A meal at a restaurant: £10-£20
The cost of transportation in this city includes:
- Monthly bus pass: £40-£70
- Taxi: Around £5 for a short distance
- Mobile phone and internet: £20-£40 per month
- Books and supplies: Around £300 per year
- Leisure activities: Cinema ticket £7-£10
- Gym membership: £30-£40 per month
The student areas in Gloucester
- Cheltenham: This neighborhood has a lot to offer to the students such as great nightlife, entertainment, bars, restaurants, and more. It is located near the countryside and not far from the town center, with affordable student rooms in Gloucester.
- Quay Street: This accommodation is around 9 minutes from the city center and it is a thriving area that is filled with different universities, shops, markets, and more. There are many amazing student accommodations over here.
- Dursley: Dursley is known for being one of the top-notch places to stay in Gloucestershire. It is one of the most economical places and it is surrounded by breath-taking views.
- Tetbury: Tetbury is home to King Charles III and it is known for having a rich historic area. It is lively as well as a good neighborhood for all the students who want to experience Royalty Street.