Summary: Despite so much modernization in teaching methods, the core elements of yoga learning has remained the same. You need to search for a well-trained yoga instructor to derive optimum benefits from it.
Just like the meaning of Yoga, which means ‘to unite’, learning this ancient science also requires you to unite with your teacher. Yes, that’s true! Without showing utmost devotion to your yoga teacher, you won’t be able to gain an in-depth knowledge and holistic understanding of yoga. As per the traditional methodology, knowledge of yoga is passed from the teacher to the disciple. Interestingly, in India, this age-old practice of sharing knowledge is still prevalent in most of the top-rated institutes. To get an idea, you can meet a popular Yoga instructor in Rishikesh and figure out their way of teaching.
Look for these qualities in your Yoga mentor to find a great one:
In Rishikesh, yoga training relies heavily on the ‘Share of Knowledge’ principle. That means, only a person who has spent years in knowing the actual essence of yoga can be regarded ‘fit’ for passing it to someone else. However, you can look for these six qualities in your instructor in order to feel satisfied during the entire yoga training program:
• Passionate about Mind-Body Health: The most peculiar thing about the yoga instructors in Rishikesh is their passion for mind-body health. By applying various alignment techniques, here instructors try to create a state of balance between your mind, body, and soul! Before you enroll in a program, make sure that your mentor has the capabilities to work on your movements and physiology.
• Knowledge about the Philosophy of Yoga: Across the world, Yoga is regarded not just a physical exercise, but also a way of life. This is mainly due to the fact that the practitioners of yoga are found to develop good personality traits by observing disciplines like Surya Namaskar. Besides, a true yogi must also possess the knowledge of the Yamas and Niyamas to create a positive impact in the minds of the future yogis throughout the training period.
• Knowledge about the Traditional Styles of Yoga: There are numerous styles of yoga, which are traditionally practiced in most of the learning centers. Particularly, the knowledge of two popular styles — the Ashtanga Yoga and the Hatha Yoga is a must to become a good instructor. Be it the Ashtanga Yoga or the Hatha Yoga, the instructor must possess a thorough knowledge of the various pranayama techniques and the proper corrective measures.
• Avid Practitioner of Yoga Therapy: After the beginning level, the yoga learning process becomes more challenging and requires greater flexibility. Herein, the role of an expert becomes crucial as only they can apply the practical knowledge of therapeutic and spiritual healing to lower down your pain due to injuries and muscular issues.
• Excellent Teaching Methodology: Yoga follows a basic step-by-step process that goes from one pose to another. If your instructors are capable of doing all the asanas himself, then learning under them would prove more beneficial. To be precise, the teaching methodology of your yoga teacher should focus on practical training and also cover a reasonable amount of theory-based knowledge.
• Can ensure safe Yoga practices: In order to train students about yoga, the instructor must be able to create a fearless atmosphere in the minds of its disciples. This can only be maintained when the mentor has the correct idea about the various safe practices. Only by making the students do the difficult poses and asanas in the most convenient manner, a yoga instructor can finish their duty properly.
There is little doubt that yoga learning is a journey, not a destination. But, in the beginning, you need to fall in love with yoga. This could only be made possible when you initiate learning under the able guidance of a mentor who can show you the true light.