Whenever you use AR technology in your app, you will be getting an advantageous position. But when it gets combined with the geolocation features, the entire experience will be more interactive and immersive for you. From this post, you will get to know what type of technology will be the best for this deadly combination, how can you earn from this type of app and what are the areas for which this app can be beneficial.
An established AR app development company can provide you with the necessary tips if you wish to come up with a customized location-based AR app.
What do you understand by a Location-Based AR App:
A location-based AR app is one that considers data concerning the position and location of the device and accordingly blends virtual elements with the real world. Pokemon Go is an apt example in this regard.
Types of AR technologies:
There are Four Major Categories of AR, which are as follows:
- Projection-based AR: Here the texts and images are focused on the physical objects covering them fully.
- Marker-based AR: It uses the hidden markers in the images. So whenever the marker gets spotted by the camera, the app automatically triggers the AR elements.
- Superimposition-based AR: Here the position of an element can be changed fully or partially.
- Location-based AR: Here the data from the GPS or other positioning systems are used along with data from the sensors to locate the device’s position. Once the location gets identified, it triggers the AR components.
How Location-Based AR App Works
To ensure smooth functioning of the location-based AR app you need to implement augmented reality and geopositioning perfectly so that the appropriate data can be reflected. Special geo markers are used by apps of this category so they are also called points of interest.
First of all the apps need to identify the exact location of the smartphone. GPS is one of the necessary technologies for this purpose. There can be multiple options including those enabling indoor positioning. Side by side with the GPS, AR also from accelerometers and digital compass. When the specific point of interest gets identified AR elements placed on top of the real environment get triggered. Apart from the texts and visual objects the AR elements also cover animations, videos, and music. Trendy location-based AR apps are widely used in areas like retail, games and entertainment, education, travel, etc.
Some important tools for creating location-based AR apps:
The aspects of reliability and precision for AR and geopositioning are very crucial to make your apps popular and successful. To make these technologies work seamlessly it very important to pick up the right set of tools for you. Some of the popular instruments for creating location-based AR apps are as follows:
Apple AR Kit: Its main features are:
- Environment scanning: This toolset will enable you to find and recognize horizontal and vertical planes so that you can place the virtual elements inside them.
- Face tracking: With this feature, you can develop advanced virtual effects using the apps by its powerful face tracking system.
- Light estimation: ARKit helps in assessing the lighting of the actual environment so that the virtual objects can be illuminated in similar ways to offer a realistic feel.
- Visual inertial odometry: With this feature, the surrounding environment can be assessed accurately.
Google AR Core: It offers the following features:
- Environment scanning: Just like the former one it also helps in efficiently detecting surfaces so that the virtual objects can be placed appropriately.
- Motion tracking: This feature enables in detecting motion to trigger the virtual elements.
- Light estimation: Here the virtual elements are illuminated in a way so that the lighting of the natural environment matches.
Wikitude: It offers the following features:
- Extended object tracking: Using this feature, you can scan an object to see the augmentations even when the market in the camera view is not visible.
- Instant targets: Here the physical surfaces and the virtual objects are blended properly and are saved for other viewers.
- Scene recognition: This is an advanced feature which helps in scanning complex and large environment like streets, rooms, houses, etc.
Monetization options with location-based AR apps:
Virtual items in the apps are incorporated which are to be purchased by the users.
To download the apps, users have to pay.
To experience the advanced versions the users need to opt for the paid scheme as the free sections have limited features that may not be engaging for all types of users.
An app development company with proficiency in delivering AR solutions follows the trending patterns to create location-based AR apps so that the users can meet their desired objectives with ease and efficiency.
From the above discussion you can now have a comprehensive idea about the location-based AR apps and their prospective implications. Now if you wish to experience its services, don’t hesitate to find your appropriate solution provider.
Author Bio: Mr Arup Roy is the CEO of Red Apple Technologies, a prominent AR app development company. Mr. Roy loves to work with new technologies and also writes blogs and articles online to educate aspiring entrepreneurs about the potentialities of advanced technologies like AR.