The 1800 numbers have existed since 1967. Generally, the numbers starting with 800 are toll-free which means the person calling is not charged but the receiver pays a fee for the call. The 1800 numbers Australia list can be easily found on the Internet and there are many service providers who can provide you with 1800 or 1300 inbound number for your business. Besides free calling, there are several differences between your regular landline numbers and 1800 numbers. Let’s see how 1800 numbers actually work.
How is the 1800 number set up?
Toll-free numbers are assigned on first come first served basis. The maximum length allowed for 1800 numbers is 10 digits. The 1800 number is generally associated with a telephone landline or a mobile number. Call to each 1800 number is routed to a specific landline or mobile number. In Australia, there are several companies offering 1800 number service. The 1800 number is portable which means you can keep the number even when you change service providers.
You don’t need an additional hardware or software to setup 1800 number. The 1800 number can also have an ACRONYM or a Word chosen by the subscriber. For example, 1-800-FLOWERS, or 1-800-NEW-CARS. The 1800 number basic setup is completed in two steps
- Acquiring your 1800 number
- Assigning answer points for inbound calls. You can assign any Australian landline or mobile number as answer point.
Businesses can also purchase a bunch of additional services with their 1800 number. Some of them are
- Call routing – the call to 1800 number can be routed to another number based on various factors like time of the day, the origin of the call, postcode or if your phone line is busy.
- Live answering service- the call to 1800 number can be answered by operators in your business name.
- Business introduction – you can present a professionally recorded business introduction to the caller before the call is connected to one of the answer points.
- Call forward voice menus- businesses can program voice menus that allow callers to select the department they want to connect to. Based on caller’s selection the call can be routed to specific landline number or mobile number.
The Australian Communication and Media Authority is a statutory body that is responsible to manage all communication and media services for Australians. The ACMA website is a right source to get complete 1800 numbers Australia list.
How does the 1800 numbers work?
When a person dials the 1800 number, the Service Switch Point in the telephone network identifies it as a toll-free number due to its 1800 prefix. It then prompts a query to the Service Control Point which has the routing instructions. For example, if the customer dials 1800-XXXX number in Australia, the call will get routed to the landline associated with the 1800 number and the business which owns the 1800 number will receive the call.
Though calling from Australian landline is free for 1800 numbers, callers may be required to pay a specific charge when calling 1800 number from their mobile phones. The toll-free 1800 number can prove beneficial to businesses to connect with their customers and build their brand.
Resource Box: If you are looking for the Best VoIP Providers In Australia the author of this article suggests Innonet.