Mathematics can be described as the science which uses number and symbols to solve a problem. It is one of the most important subjects and has several benefits in our day to day life. However, a lot of students find the subject boring and dull and resent from learning the same as the teaching is limited only to textbook learning. It is very difficult to make this subject learning unique so as to ignite interest in the students. But, thanks to technology, nothing is impossible in today’s world.
Schools are introducing lab based studies for different subjects which makes it easier for the students to understand the concepts in a fun and interesting way. One of them is math labs for schools which offer learning material in the form of games, puzzles which help the students to explore the subject and develop interest in the same. To further improve the quality of education, you can include education material published by school book publishers in India. There are several advantages of having such a facility in your school, some of which are as given below.
Importance of math labs for students and schools:
- It gives the students an opportunity to understand the underlying context and concepts and discover the subject through doing. Through various virtual activities they can practice the subject and lay down a firm foundation for themselves.
- It helps to improve the cognitive abilities of the students. It enables the students to think over and analyse problems in a different manner and arrive at solutions more efficiently and also allow them to implement math principles in their daily life.It also improves the individual participation of the students in their overall learning process which helps them to move forward at their own pace.
- Math labs for schools also help the teachers as these are equipped with several different activities and assessment plans. This reduces the burden on them of creating such things manually. To explain the concepts in a better manner, teachers have at their disposal various tools like graphs, charts, models, posters etc.
- Such labs make the understanding of theoretical knowledge very easy through practical demonstration. This helps to create the interest of students in the subject and satisfy their constructive and creative urge.
- Rules and constraints are integral part of math problems. Engaging the students in the subject through puzzles and games can make them aware about the same.
With the rising global trends and changing education system,activity based learning is becoming more and more popular these days. Innovative learning techniques makes it easier for the students to understand the difficult concepts in an easy manner. Pictures, charts, models etc. are very effective tools that assist in the teaching and learning process.
Every school should consider the option of establishing a math lab for their students as it offer several benefits and make the learning process easy. Having a reference book section in your math lab by procuring good resource material from school book publishers in India is also a good idea to improve its overall quality. Mathematics is a subject that will have implications throughout our lives and not just in school. So, having a good base will turn to be an advantage, no matter which field someone chooses.