What are Outpatient and Inpatient in Medical Coding?
The Simple Meaning of Medical Coding is a transcription of Patient records by particularly Diagnosis by Doctors. They are two kinds of patients that are differently seen in the hospitals.
They are Inpatients and Outpatients:
Inpatient: Inpatient means to the time a patient spends in a hospital or other healthcare facility for more than a day. It’s also called as a type of therapeutic Procedure as the procedure requires the patient to be admitted to the hospital, primarily so that he or she can be closely monitored during the procedure and afterward, during recovery.
Outpatient: An outpatient for that matter is treated in the hospital as a patient that has visited the hospital for consultation. It’s also called as a type of Diagnostic Procedure as the procedure does not require hospital admission and may also be performed outside the premises of a hospital.
An INPATIENT is a patient gets admitted to the hospital upon his arrival at the hospital premises. He or She would spend in the hospital and is given room to stay on the premises for a long Period of time. He or she is attended to regularly by the doctors that are appointed by the hospital. A record of the various results conducted on him is maintained by the hospital authorities.
An OUTPATIENT is a patient leaves the premises of the hospital after consulting a doctor that visits the hospital or that is appointed by the hospital. Unlike the inpatient, he or she does not spend a certain period of time (days) in the hospital. For More Information Medical Coding Training Hyderabad.
Difference Between in Outpatient and Inpatient in Medical Coding
There are Main Points of Difference between Outpatient and Inpatient
- The Main Difference Between in Outpatient and Inpatient is an inpatient is treated in the hospital only after admission.
- An inpatient gets discharged once he is cured of his disease. On the other hand, an outpatient does not get discharged from the Hospital as he or she never gets admitted to the hospital for treatment.
- The Main reason for an Outpatient a patient gets treated in Hospital Without admitted process due to injury or disease is very low. An Inpatient a patient gets treated in Hospital only admission process due to injury or disease is very low before the treatment starts
- Sometimes the decision whether a patient falls under the category of outpatient or inpatient is taken upon his arrival in the hospital premises. If the doctors feel that his injury or the disease can be treated without his getting admission into the hospital then he is treated as an outpatient.
- On the other hand, if the doctor feels that he can be treated only if he gets admitted to the hospital when he is said to be an inpatient. It is quite natural that an inpatient gets all the help from the hospital as can buy medicine and his tests in the clinical Laboratory attached to the hospital and even enjoy the other facilities in the hospital such as books and magazines, television in the room, meals on wheels and the like.
- The outpatient has to buy medicine from any other pharmacy and has his tests conducted in a clinical laboratory other from the hospital. For More Information Medical Coding Training Hyderabad.