The day of relocation is nearing and you still have the monumental task of packing all of your stuff! You start hunting for boxes randomly all over the place without knowing the right sized boxes or the types of boxes you need. Then, on the day of packing, you will be left with a lot of wrong moving boxes and running around for a second time trying to collect the right boxes.
To avoid redoing the entire task of finding moving boxes, it’s vital to do it right the first time. The first task of packing is having the right quantity of right-sized boxes in the right materials. Therefore, here is an elaborate guide for you on how to choose the moving boxes according to your requirements.
The Ultimate Guide for Choosing Moving Boxes
In this guide, we will see how to choose the moving boxes based on the stuff you have. Also, we will give you ideas on where to buy moving boxes and how to get some good ones for free.
How Can You Choose the Moving Boxes for Your Relocation?
Before you start collecting the moving boxes, have a good idea about the number of moving boxes you will need – not an approximate total figure, but a separate count of the number of boxes in different shapes and different materials.
To find out how many moving boxes you need, you need to take into account a few factors:
- How many people are in the house?
- How many rooms are you relocating?
- How long have you lived in this home?
- What kind of stuff you have – are you a hoarder or a minimalist?
By answering these questions, you can come to a ballpark figure of how many moving boxes you need for the relocation.
Next, think about the stuff you are moving and take account of the bigger things like refrigerator, television, computer, CPU, oven, wardrobe and any other such large items. Check if you have the original boxes in which these came. If you have them, then good for you!
If not, you need to get the right-sized boxes that can handle its weight from external sources. Here are some ideas about how to get moving boxes.
How Can You Get Good Moving Boxes for Free?
There are a lot of neighborhood places from where you can get moving boxes for free. You would mostly find some good empty and sturdy boxes from your workplace itself or at least some essential boxes in which you can store some papers.
- Grocery Stores: Next, hit the grocery stores near your place. If you know the people working in the grocery store, then you can ask them to store the boxes in which apples and some other fruits come in. These boxes can protect your delicate things.
- Liquor Store: Your next stop is the liquor store. What’s the best place to get some sturdy wooden cartons than the place that deals with transporting huge glass bottles regularly! Again, if you know someone who works in the shop, then you may get a few boxes for free. If not, the owner may charge you a small amount for the wooden crates, which is nothing compared to the quality and its usefulness.
- Bookstores: Even after getting the moving boxes from grocery stores, liquor stores and your workplace, if you need any more boxes, you can reach out to the bookstores too.
- Online Forums: Apart from these local places to try, you can try the online message boards and forums like Craigslist and U-Haul Box Exchange in which you can find people who offer moving boxes for free near your localities.
Where Can You Buy Moving Boxes and How Much Does It Cost?
You can buy moving boxes from some local home depot stores for a price. These are boxes that will be of good quality, but, of course, you need to spend a bit to get your hands on it.
To buy moving boxes for a typical two-bedroom house, you would need to spend around $70 to $90 to get all the boxes for the entire home packing.
As an alternative, it is advisable to collect as many moving boxes as you can from the local stores for the necessary packing of clothes, toys and other usual stuff and buy these moving boxes for the pricey ones. When you don’t have a proper moving box to pack the electronic stuff or pricey arts and crafts, then you can use these moving boxes you bought to pack them securely.
How Can You Pack the Moving Boxes for a Safe Relocation?
Quality Packing Materials: When you are getting the moving boxes, make sure to get sufficient packing materials too. It’s not just enough to have good moving boxes. Instead, you need to have proper packing materials that will prevent the items inside from getting damaged due to sudden movements or shocks during transportation.
Proper Wrapping: During the packing of items, make sure to line down the bottom of the box with some waterproof plastic covers and maybe some bubble wraps too if it is breakable items. The next step is to wrap the things in papers and bubble wraps before placing them inside the moving box. If you are packing clothes, boxes, or any other normal unbreakable stuff, then you can place it directly inside.
Right Placement: When placing the items in the moving box, ensure that the items are not tightly packed inside. Leave some safe so that the box doesn’t break open under pressure, but not too much safe for the items to move freely inside. After placing the items till the top of the box, again fill in some papers, cloths and bubble wraps, and close and seal the moving box.
Legible Labelling: When you have completely packed the box, make sure to label it immediately. You can label it with the room from which it is packed, or the items present inside the box. Please follow a single method of labeling so that you can easily identify and unpack them after you relocate.
Keep in mind all of these simple ideas to get your moving boxes and securely relocate all your stuff. Moving boxes are crucial to any relocation and therefore, you should concentrate on picking out the right moving boxes to move safely.
Check out the list of 14 top removal companies in London to hire for your next move.