Charity is a conscious act of extending love and kindness to others without expecting any reward in return. It is a one-sided act and is carried out selflessly and because of this nature, charity becomes a precious and soulful endeavour. It is the duty of the fortunate ones to provide assistance to the less fortunate people of the world including the people who have been devastated by natural calamities or man-made disasters.
It is not necessary to donate money or other resources as a part of charity. You can also offer your services to various organizations for volunteer work in Singapore. There are several charities in Singapore through which you can contribute to uplift the spirits of people in need. Here are the top 5 charity causes to support in Singapore:
1. Children’s education– There is many children who have no family or who come from low income families with no means to support their education. To help these children to have a good future, there are several organizations that work to support their education and daily living needs to build a strong foundation for them to contribute as useful members of society.
2. Chronic illnesses – There are several people including children who battle with chronic and life-threatening diseases but have no means to seek adequate medical help. To provide social and financial support to these chronically ill people, various non-profit organizations are working tirelessly through the support of volunteers and contributors.
3. Animal welfare– Not just humans, but animals also require help and care. Several charities are working towards achieving this goal by offering services in the form of preventing animal cruelty, welfare investigations, emergency animal rescue, animal shelter etc. You can contribute to this cause either through donations or by adopting a pet and saving their life.
4. Food distribution– Tons of food go to waste every day which could be utilized for feeding the less fortunate people. There are several organizations who collect food items which are safe and fit to eat and store them in warehouses. These food items are then subsequently distributed to people in need.
5. Care for the elderly– Many times there are instances when the elderly cannot take care of themselves or their families cannot support their needs. Many charities provide nursing homes, professional care and support through doctors and therapists for the elderly. You can support this cause through monetary donations or donations in kind to help better the lives of these senior citizens.
In our world, not everyone is fortunate enough with resources to lead a comfortable life. For such people, it becomes the duty of others to assist them in any way possible. By promoting a charity, you are recognizing your own internal need to show compassion whether consciously or unconsciously. Donating to charity of your choice can give you immense satisfaction. The mere thought of helping others can be hugely empowering and, in turn, can provide you with happiness and a sense of fulfilment.
There are several charities in Singapore through which we can contribute towards making a difference. Being able to improve the lives of others is a privilege for many people, and this feeling comes with its own sense of obligation. This way we can reinforce our own personal values by contributing towards the volunteer work in Singapore.