Rain brings about romantic thoughts in mind but forget not, it is a serious cause of major road accidents worldwide. Driving in rain can be dangerous and risky. Any carelessness in wet weather driving can lead to painful outcomes. Wet pavements and road surfaces contribute to a million crashes globally each year. Driving in severe weather conditions demands undivided attention from the driver to prevent potential dangers that come on the way.
A driver is required to adapt continuously as per the conditions and nature of the surface. Quick responses and actions can prevent serious accidents and there is an ardent requirement of it when driving in rain. The well maintained vehicle fleet from budget car rental will relieve the dangers of wet weather driving. Sometimes the best decision a driver can make during severe weather is to stay off the roads completely until the weather clears.
TIPS FOR DRIVING SAFELY ON WET ROADS:
- Always keep both hands on the steering wheel to stay in control.
- Maintain a lower speed as this will give the tyres more grip and traction.
- Maintain a safe distance from other drivers.
- Have good vigil of the surroundings and other cars on the road.
- Only brake when having zero steering input. Never brake while turning.
- On wet weather, brake gradually as sudden momentum changes can get you to lose control.
- When turning, maintain a constant steering input through the corner.
- Avoid any sudden steering wheel movements as this will unsettle the car and force you into a slide.
- Ensure that the tyres have adequate tread and have optimum pressure.
- Wet weather demands complete driver involvement. Never use cruise control in such conditions.
- Wet weather conditions reduce overall visibility. It is advised to switch on the headlights for better view and also let other drivers judge your presence.
- To get yourself out of hydroplaning, ease off the gas and let the car glide to a stop. Never panic or make violent steering changes.
- Wet roads double the braking distance of your car. To ease with the risks, brake early and always maintain a safe speed.
Driving in the rain can be scary and it’s important to take wet weather seriously when on the road. The above tips will ensure complete safety when driving on wet roads. Avail the self driving cars from Myles and take full advantage of the electronic driving assistance in them. Drive according to the conditions, and adjust a few of your habits to avoid sliding, skidding or being involved in a collision.