The four main areas of a child’s development in the first five years are motor, language and communication, cognitive and social /emotional aspects. The cognitive development is very important aspect since it involves how the child thinks, explores and figures the problem out. A child’s development of knowledge and problem-solving skills that helps in understanding their world around is what cognitive development is all is. It has been well established that the very small kids are always ready and excited to develop their language, literacy, mathematical and scientific skills and proper guidance in these aspects would prepare the kids for their academic success.
Preschool curriculum and their impacts
Thankfully most of the preschool syllabus in India focuses on developing the overall development involved in the initial child growth. The preschools take care on developing the critical speech and motor skills along with the academic and social skills. By the time the kids enter the school and start studying as per primary school curriculum in India, the kids would be able to speak in full sentences, grasp on the instructions and kick a ball around.
Though the preschools don’t have a fixed educational guideline, preschool curriculum in any school, be it religious institution or Montessori preschool, focuses on the following skill areas of a child – letters, numbers, shapes, colours, cutting, sorting, sharing, cooperation, taking turns, knowing seasons and physical activities like running, jumping and kicking ball. Preschool syllabus includes the length of a preschool day along with the following activities in a day
• Activities like circle time, song time, plays and story time and craft time enhances the creative and innovative aspects of a kid along with the key skill of forming friendship.
• In between the activities the kids learn to walk in lines and how to clean up the toys and supplies. This encourages the kids to cooperate and understand importance of taking turns.
• Interactive sessions with professionals like police or a doctor occasionally enlighten the kids and make their day informative and fun.
• Field trips to nearby post offices or grocery shops also enhance the kid’s perception of his surroundings.
Tips to enhance the creative and innovative sides of your preschooler
As you know preschoolers are always eager to grasp whatever they are given. The preschool curriculums though include key aspects to improve the life skills, the following tips would further enhance the creativity and innovative skills of your child:
1. Kids absorb the skills what they see. Displaying art and craft objects at an eyelevel can stimulate creativity in young ones. Try to fill up classrooms with as much of materials like clay, paint,color pencils, games, puzzles,books,blocks and many more. Decorate the classrooms with unexpected objects that would spark imagination among kids
2. Conduct games that would activate the creative aspect of your preschoolers. For example, Games like story building, that is, taking turns in building up a story is a great way of improving the kid’s imagination.
3. Right attitude in presenting a problem before the kids helps to foster innovative and creative aspects of the preschooler. That is, rather than limiting ‘right’ solution to a given problem encourage the kids to think about all possible solutions. Also introduce more and more spontaneous plays to foster the imagination of kids.
4. Encourage your preschoolers with rewards not for a complete projected but for the efforts given in by the kid. Rewarding only for completed task will nurture an unhealthy expectation among kids.
Hope these tips may guide your kids with right attitude to cater to the needs of primary school curriculum in India.