‘The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred within their bones.”
This line by Mark Anthony in the play Julius Caesar means that the good deeds you do throughout your life are easily forgotten whereas one bad deed is remembered even after you die. This was written by William Shakespeare in 1599 and it holds ground even today especially in the age of digital marketing.
Today everyone has the world in the palm of their hands, so if anyone makes a wrong comment or does something outrageous, it is immediately posted on social media and within a few minutes it has the chance to become viral .It can tarnish the reputation of the brand or the person’s value which has sometimes even taken years to build. Whatever you say or do should be thought of very carefully as it will have an impact on how a brand is perceived by the general public. In spite of taking all the preventive measures a brand still collapses due to its inability to manage its social media presence and also not having a proper strategy in place in case of an eventuality. This is where Online Reputation Management comes in (ORM). ORM refers to the influencing and controlling of an individual’s or group’s reputation online. It is the process of controlling
what comes up when someone looks you up online.
The first page of Google or any search engine for that matter is like a visiting card and the first impression people get about your brand will decide whether they want to associate with you in any way or not. If there is any misleading or false information about your brand or if your brand is associated with any negative connotation it will affect the audience’s interaction with you and in turn the visibility of your brand’s website on a search engine. The best way to go about avoiding this is to have a preventive measure in place so that you will be prepared to face this challenge head on, but sometimes it can happen unexpectedly so it’s best to be prepared. Here are a few simple things people can do when doing online reputation management.
1. First thing people should know is when to react. There are times when a reaction is not necessary and sometime a reaction becomes imperative and a delay in reacting could do irreparable damage.
2. Always have a soft tone when responding to negative comments and make sure you solve their problems. It’s very important that you make
them feel important.
3. It’s always better to spend more money to appease a customer’s queries than letting it grow. There are cases where a company has
insulted a reviewer so much that the local news channel picked it up.
4. If you find that the same person is posting negative comments about your brand even after you have answered delete his comments as soon
as possible else it will start spreading to other people and it will creative a negative impact in the mind of the reader.
5. If the hate campaign against your brand is getting really offensive then contact the cybercrime unit and request them to look into it.
The above points that I have mentioned are just the basics. There is a lot more to ORM and companies who know the value of ORM pay big money to manage their reputation online but it all depends on the way it is handled. In India the future of ORM is looking bright as more and more companies are moving towards digital medium as their primary marketing channel.
If you want to know more about ORM I suggest you check out http://adwantsdigimac.com/. It’s one of the best digital marketing courses in Chennai and there you can learn a lot about digital marketing