Kathirikai is called as Brinjal in Tamil. So this kathirikai or brinjal sambar is the common and popular recipe in Tamil Nadu. As this is the daily recipe in the south, there are many variations available and tries in south Indian Homes.
This is a simple sambar recipe which is made up using brinjal or eggplant and other various vegetables. This recipe takes the maximum an hour to cook including preparation and cooking time. Do try this amazing and unique Kathirikai Sambar Recipe.
Ingredients required for Kathirikai Sambar Recipe:-
- Toor Dal / Arhar Dal – 1 Cup
- Brinjal / Small Eggplant – 2 to 3 (Small Size)
- Onion (Small) – 2 to 3
- Tomatoes (Medium Sized) – 2
- Dry red chillies (Whole) – 3 to 4
- Curry Leaves – 7 to 10
- Tamarind Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Black Mustard Seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
- Sambar Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ Tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) – 1 Pinch
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
Instruction to make Kathirikai Sambar Recipe:-
1) Take a cup of arhar dal and wash it properly. Boil it in a pressure cooker adding 1 tsp of salt and ½ tsp of turmeric powder.
2) Now add diced brinjals into the cooker and mix them properly. Cover the pressure cooker and cook them until 2 whistles.
3) For tempering, take a pan and heat 2 tbsp of oil and then add mustard seeds.
4) Once seeds start crackle add a pinch of Hing into the mixture.
5) Then add curry leaves and whole red chilli. Roast them for a few seconds.
6) Then add chopped onion and saute till it turns a little brown in colour.
7) Then add chopped tomatoes and saute till it cooks properly.
8) Time to add sambar masala and chilli powder.
9) In other bowl take tamarind paste with enough water and add in the tempering mixture.
10) Continue cooking till the vegetables are properly cooked.
11) Once done them add in the boiled dal and brinjals.
12) Add water as per the consistency you are looking for. Mix them well and continue cooking until boils.
13) After the boil, put the flame off and cover the sambar for few more minutes to get the delightful aroma.
14) Your Sambar is ready. Serve with Idli or Masala Dosa.
The author is running a food website and writes blogs and articles for food recipes. She believes in the quick and instant recipe yet healthy and delicious. She loves to add sambar to her meal for sure.