HOLIDAYS!! The word is like a magic for everyone. The sense of pleasure and relaxation this magic word brings to one is immense. Celebrations and vacation trips with your loved ones and endless fun is what is known as a perfect holiday. But what if this perfect holiday is spoiled by an unprecedented medical emergency?
Don’t worry. Simple precautions and few information in hand can make your holidays a happy one.
According to certain studies, the medical emergencies are at peak during holidays. Yes, holidays are the time medical emergencies become a nightmare especially when you are away at a place you are unacquainted with or when you are too busy entertaining your guests at home. Let’s go through some simple safety measurements when you are on a holiday.
What all you must keep in mind?
Love your guests but love yourself first. Its normal that holidays are for your friends to come over and party to your heart’s content. Partying is all about overdoing everything: overconsumption of alcohol, over consumption of sugar and salt. If you have a chronic condition like heart problems or diabetes these overindulgences can land you in emergency. So, the bottom-line is indulging in above said activities in moderation.
Remember chronic diseases could worsen because of you short term pleasure. Be sure to have your medications in time, even if you are celebrating. Studies have shown that holiday related liquor intoxication is the major cause of rash driving and accidents. So, never drink and drive.
Kids love holidays and it is also the same time during which they may fall sick. Since kids are always around the house, chances are high that they might keep experimenting some unwanted things. Parents must be careful in keeping away harmful things like knives, medicines, matchsticks, and other such items. Always keep in handy contacts of 24 hours clinics in Singapore and pediatrics hospitals in Singapore.
Travel during holidays is an unavoidable ritual for many. Some simple guidelines can be followed while travelling:
• Research and be aware of the health and safety situations at your destination. Always keep a check on the news to be informed of any outbreaks at your destination.
• A thorough health checkup before the travel is advisable
• Prepare a list of healthcare emergency contacts in that area. 24 hours clinic in Singapore are good example of full-time emergency centers.
• Always carry a travel kit with your prescriptions, medicines, first aid supplies and health insurance card.
• Be aware of the food available at your destination. Keep in handy some preserved food if you have allergies.
• Travelling with kids is the most challenging part of all. Singapore is famous for outstanding hospitals. Pediatrics hospital in Singapore are of great help for kids during emergencies
• Ensure carrying medications for your kids
• Kids need to be kept well hydrated
• Carry around bug repellants for your kid if your destination is to tropical areas
• While travelling with special kids ensure to keep documents related to their medicines.
• Carry a first aid kit as injuries are always part of fun.
• Another travel related emergency is jet lag disorders. If possible book the flights that reach in evenings. Keeping yourself well hydrated and avoiding caffeine and alcohol can keep jet lag disorders at a bay.
• Last but not the least, always have the emergency telephone number of the country you are visiting
• Lastly, always keep a documented copy of your diseases, allergies and related prescription with you as this may help a lot during emergencies
A little caution, presence of mind and discipline can make your holiday more fun. Have a happy and safe holiday!