An electric generator is a device which converts mechanical energy obtained by an external source into electrical energy as the output. It is important to understand that generators do not create electrical energy, instead they convert some form of energy supplied to them into electrical energy. Electric generators work on the principle of electromagnetic induction. These appliances are very useful during power outage as they supply electrical power during these power cuts and prevent discontinuity or disruption of business operations.
A diesel generator (also known as genset) is a combination of a diesel engine with an electric generator used to generate electricity. In this combination the diesel engine provides mechanical energy and the electric generator converts this mechanical energy provided by the diesel engine into electrical energy and serves as a power source during outage and power cuts. Gensets are extremely helpful for emergency power supply. These can not only be used in large establishments or industries but also in homes and small offices. These diesel engines are effective in providing power to places that are not powered by a power grid and as a backup in case of power outage. Diesel engines are also used as an energy source in ships and for propulsions.
Advantages of Diesel Generators
- The most important advantage of diesel generators is that they are fuel efficient. Some diesel generators consume up to half as much fuel as consumed by petrol engines. This feature of diesel generators makes them cost effective.
- Gensets require less maintenance as they do not have spark plugs.
- Gensets assure steady power supply and this feature of diesel generators plays a significant role in hospitality and other similar establishments as they use machines which require constant and continuous powe supply and outage of power in this case could mean the difference between life and death.
- Nowadays diesel engines are widely used in many fields such as railways, road traffic maintenance, factories, mines, hospitals etc.
- Another great advantage of diesel engine is that they have a long life span which is greater than gas and petrol generators.
It was observed by some market researchers that there is a demand and supply gap of about 17% in power generation. This huge gap of demand and supply of electrical power has thrown open an opportunity for the power back up industry which supple generators, UPS and inverters. Among which diesel generator is the most efficient choice.
Tathya Projects is an India based company which offers complete solution for auxiliary power systems. Tathya is led by professionals with experience of designing and implementing power supply solutions.