Appreciation is one thing that is demanded by all. No matter if they say it or not, their contribution to work adds up a new flavor with the pinch of appreciated words. Be it the colleagues, employees or co-workers, they don’t look out for occasions for little words shared by the other one end. Little surprises, appreciation tokens, all of it throughout the year help the other feel valued and to give more to what the organizational goals are.
So, why reserve the appreciating words for special occasions? Just make sure to let it continue as a standard practice. There is no harm to keep thanking the employees regularly or to make them aware that you care. It will just promote happiness in the work area and will help know each other with a touch of personality. Not all demand the same kind of appreciation, so it’s better to start from one’s own need.
Leadership training programs are designed in a way that they make us aware that employees do not generally feel appreciated unless acknowledged. It is one of their biggest complaint as per the surveys conducted, that their work is never been appreciated by the employees they choose to give time to. So, one must make sure to start with little, as the “appreciation a day, can make someone better in their play”. It makes someone’s day better and can even change their life. All one needs is to put in their willingness into the right words as the same is necessary.
Techniques for Employees Appreciation
There are many ways to ensure that the employees working feel appreciated and are well-acknowledged in the working environment:
1. Saying thank you– One easy and best way to make the other one feel the appreciation for their contributed work is a simple “Thank you”. “Please” also works as an important word often. Social niceties are belonging to the work and a little of the polite, civilized, gracious workplace is loved by all.
2. Praising the job done– As per the leadership training programs, the leader must always try and identify some of the specific locations where they feel the other one’s work admirable. It is one sincere means to treat the employees as it looks like someone took out time to spell out details apart from saying, “You did well”. One can even start emphasizing the actions which they would want to see coming from their employees. It helps benefit all with a clear sense of direction.
3. Offering a flexible schedule– When all work in a critical situation, one must make sure to post a calendar where the employees can balance their time off with the other ones working on the project. The leadership training programs consider this as one important means to benefit the employee desire as well as to efficiently get the work done.
4. Co-worker’s interest learning– Yes, learning from the co-worker’s interest, looking around for the questions, acknowledgments about their hobbies, their family, favorite weekend spot, special event, etc, either way, general interest and a genuine one herein will work best. It will be better than being nosey. It will make the employees feel valued and cared for. Once the employers start doing this regularly, it will be a great means for improvement in what was seen before.
5. Personalized gift once in a while– Knowing the co-worker’s interest and presenting them with some of the personalized gifts occasionally is one impressive means for appreciation. An appreciated gift as such and the way the same is presented (the gesture), it can be like a shining armor to the co-worker around. The leadership training programs teach us, even a greeting card has its way to serve its purpose. It can be for celebrating a special day, promotion, birthdays, sympathy during a family member’s death or if the employee is ill, etc. Even chocolates, cookies and cupcakes in additional can work together to make the card a big hit. A little thing is loved by all.
6. Financial incentives– People can start with yearly bonuses, quarterly or even attendance bonuses and even give certificate gifts for the employees to feel the appreciation of words that come directly from the employees.
7. Meal treats– They are always helpful. All love food, remember this and a once in a while lunch or dinner with the co-worker or the staff on their birthdays or any other special occasion, can make them feel better. Do not wait for a reason. Look after the time and small events which can make them feel the best. Even the guest can be asked to pick their favorite restaurant or you can simply order pizza or lunch it from a caterer or the store which are out there delivering food. Brunch for the whole team after meeting the current goals or urgent over-deliveries within the timeline can also be a means, the best means to start taking small steps for they are your work-family says the leadership training programs.
8. Advancement opportunities– All love chances. They want to be a part of the training and the cross-training which can help them to improve. Some employees also prefer participation in the special committees where they get their chance for showcasing their talents. Professional association meetings, where one can act as an organization representative, is one amazing means to show that the organization they work in, trusts them. So, ensuring that these opportunities are spread over the employees completely, is the one task that the employers should genuinely look after for.
9. Surprise, Surprise– Make sure to hand bake something or cook personally for a group of employees. This will make them know that they are valued in the way they value the organization they work for. Leadership training programs, ensure this point to be covered the first.
Employee appreciation, one thing which will never be out-of-time or out-of-place. It is like a scarce commodity at some of the organizations. So, make sure your place of work is an exception to the same and can provide all possible opportunities where one can demonstrate their talent and be appreciated for the same.
About the Author:
Mihir Shah, CEO, and founder of Yatharth Marketing Solutions, a reputed sales speaker, sales trainer and sales enthusiast, with a keen understanding of employee selling psychology and a drive to inspire success. Mihir is working forward to contribute towards sales development and he can surely improve your team in terms of achieving goals faster. You can contact with Mihir on Linkedin.