Being pregnant is perhaps one of the biggest joys that a woman experiences in her lifetime. The feeling of giving life to another being is magical beyond words. Pregnancy as a nine-month long journey is different for different women. Some lucky women get to experience the so-called pregnancy glow wherein their skin exudes a radiance that cannot be matched while there are some not-so-lucky ones who experience the flip side of the pregnancy hormones especially as far as their skin is concerned. A whole host of incorrigible skin ailments can affect a pregnant woman owing to the havoc that pregnancy hormones are wreaking on her body. Some such problems are:
- Melasma – The increased level of estrogen and progesterone hormones in the body during pregnancy causes dark spots on the surface of the skin. This is due to the increase in melanocytes.
- Dermatitis – This is characterized by flaky, red patches on the skin which are a result of the pregnancy hormones.
- Acne – Increased secretion of sebum by the oil glands in the skin is an outcome of high progesterone levels during pregnancy. This excessive production of sebum may lead to a sudden outburst of acne.
- Chloasma – When the skin that is exposed to sun turns brown in color due to excess melanin deposited in the skin, this is known as the mask of pregnancy or cholasma.
- Rashes – Rashes may spring up on the face, neck and other body parts due to increased pregnancy hormones.
Most women try to stay away from chemical treatments for skin problems during pregnancy especially since most over-the-counter products are not considered very safe to use during pregnancy. This is a time when everyone is on the lookout for a natural remedy to get rid of their skin woes. Here is a list of natural remedies that pregnant women can choose from –
- For pigmentation or cholasma, a face pack that consists of cucumber juice, lime juice, tomato juice and milk can be applied to the areas that have turned darker. Almond powder mixed with milk has also shown good results when applied to the darkened skin. Curcumin powder mixed with milk and saffron can also be regularly applied on the pigmented skin to lighten it.
- For skin that has turned dry and itchy, a paste made of sandalwood powder, gram flour, milk cream and rose water can be applied to the skin and then washed off to lock in the moisture of the skin. Curcumin powder mixed with milk cream and ground oatmeal can also help exfoliate and moisturize the skin.
- Dark circles around the eyes can be treated with a cool eye pack which consists of two cotton balls dipped in cold milk. These soaked cotton balls are then kept over the eyes. Curcumin mixed with homemade butter can also be rubbed around the eyes to get rid of dark circles.
- Acne can be treated with the help of another curcumin based face pack. This pack consists of curcumin and neem oil. This will help remove the acne causing sebum as well as act as an antiseptic to soothe any infection.
Curcumin is most effective in skin ailments because:
1) Curcumin has great anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation caused by skin allergies, acne, sunburn etc. It thus restores the skin’s health and brings back its healthy glow.
2) Curcumin has antiseptic properties that form a shield against skin infections, keeping the skin healthy and glowing.
3) Curcumin is known to inhibit the production of melanin (skin darkening pigment) as well as the enzyme responsible for producing melanin. This leads to lighter skin tone.
4) Curcumin is a potent anti-fungal and it helps in keeping fungal infections at bay that can harm the skin.
5) Curcumin has antioxidant properties that make it a wonderful, natural anti-aging remedy. By keeping the synthesis of ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species) to a minimum it reduces oxidative stress thereby slowing down the aging process for the skin and body.
Bagdara Farms offers an organic curcumin supplement called Glowysy that is all natural and free of any chemical residues. It is as pure as you can ask for and is safe to be used topically during pregnancy. In all the above mentioned packs you can use Glowysy as the needed curcumin supplement.